Monday, May 13, 2024

University-owned apartments to be smoke-free starting in fall 2012

By Daniel Mather

Correction: The original headline for this article contained a typo.

University-owned apartments will be completely smoke-free starting in fall quarter 2012.

Residents found out about the new rule through an email sent out last week. Current policy allows smokers living in university apartments to smoke in their rooms, but not on their balconies or within 25 feet of any window or door.

The rule change will prohibit smoking inside the apartments altogether, said Peter Angelis, assistant vice chancellor of UCLA Housing and Hospitality Services. On-campus housing currently follows this policy.

The new policy was prompted by University of California President Mark Yudof’s call for all UC campuses to be smoke-free by 2014, Angelis said.

The UCLA Health System, whose buildings went entirely smoke-free in November 2011, was also a major influence on the decision to make the university apartments smoke-free, Angelis said.

Phillip Leslie, a fourth-year computer science student who lives in one of the university apartments on Landfair Avenue and is a non-smoker, said he would prefer that people smoke away from the buildings. He said, however, that he wasn’t optimistic about the new policy.

“People still smoke out in front, right by the windows (a non-smoking zone),” he said. “I don’t know if that’s going to change.”

Violators will be subject to a conduct hearing if deemed appropriate by the resident coordinator or another housing official. The hearing can lead to punishments, including warnings, fines and community service.

Amy Shelton, a third-year anthropology and geography student who lives in one of the university apartments on Glenrock Avenue, said that, although she is a smoker, she wants the apartments to be smoke-free.

Having to smoke at least 25 feet from buildings makes it harder to smoke alone, Shelton said. She expects smokers in university apartments will tend to congregate in a suitable place, and the rule will offer smokers an increased opportunity to socialize and meet new people.

“It’s also nice knowing that you’re somewhere where non-smokers won’t be bothered by second-hand smoke,” she said.

Angelis said he hopes the new policy will help smokers quit. Housing also plans to offer information and support to residents who want to quit.

Shelton said she doesn’t know what she will do when the new rule comes into effect, but she said she might have to change her habits.

“It would be really inconvenient to leave my apartment every time I wanted to smoke. I’m willing to quit,” she said. “But people who aren’t might just break the rules and smoke right outside their doors.”

Daniel Mather

Santa Monica 1 Bedroom,1Bath apartment in quiet 4-plex. 4miles from campus. Fully furnished. Calm, quiet, healthy, studious environment. Family owned by Ucla Alum. $2450/mo. Available June 25. Flexible Lease. Summer Sublet Ok. <[email protected]