Sunday, May 5, 2024

In the know: Driver's license proposed for undocumented immigrants

By Gina Kass

Legislation has been re-introduced to allow undocumented immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses in an effort spearheaded by Gil Cedillo, assemblyman of California’s 45th district.

Cedillo estimates that 10 percent of drivers in California are without a license, suggesting that the passage of the measure would increase safety on our roads and freeways. Those who drive without licenses are untested, and their driving may be more dangerous than those who have passed a test or have taken driving classes.

The discussion is not only about immigration, but also about safety. While immigration is a hot button issue, Californians should look beyond that to what Cedillo sees. This measure would increase our safety while driving, which Californians should view as a comforting notion.

But this is not the first time Cedillo has attempted to introduce a measure like this. In 2002, Gov. Gray Davis signed a similar measure, but it was repealed after the governor was recalled in 2003.

Subsequent attempts to enact similar measures were vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2004, 2005 and 2008.

Following the passage of the California Dream Act, which he authored late last year, Cedillo has returned to fight for extending rights for undocumented immigrants ““ this time with a more receptive governor.

As Gov. Jerry Brown advocated for and signed the California Dream Act, which allows undocumented college students to receive state funds, it would seem plausible that he would support driver’s licenses as well.

Historically, Brown has not proven so supportive on this issue. During his 2010 campaign, Brown spoke out against similar driver’s license legislation. However, only a few days ago, in a televised debate with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, Brown called for reform, specifically a path to citizenship for immigrants.

Brown is leaning in the right direction on this issue, and he should support Cedillo’s plea for the rights of undocumented immigrants.

Measures calling for undocumented rights to driver’s licenses have been passed by the California State Legislature in years past, only to be shot down by governor vetoes and recalls, suggesting that the state Legislature is more responsive and willing to allow this basic right to be granted than the governor is.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said that driver’s licenses for undocumented immigrants would reduce hit-and-runs because drivers would not be afraid of being exposed as undocumented. Beck said nothing California has done in the past comes close to solving the problem of undocumented immigrants driving without licenses, and this legislation would help solve the problem.

The possession of a driver’s license would simply allow undocumented immigrants the basic right of being allowed to transport themselves or their families from place to place without fear of being pulled over and being put in danger of legal repercussions.

For the security of such basic rights and consideration of public safety, both California and Brown should be behind this measure.

Email Kass at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected] or tweet us @DBOpinion.

Gina Kass