Birth control a smart pick for UC Student Health Insurance Plan

By Brittany Chu

If UCLA organizations such as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Campus Resource Center give out free condoms in order to promote safe sex, including birth control in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan does not seem like a stretch.

The University of California is currently in the process of providing birth control as part of UC SHIP to students without any co-payments, fees or deductibles, said Barbara Rabinowitz, insurance manager for UC SHIP.

If passed, the proposed addition would go into effect for the 2012-2013 school year.

This provision would fall in line with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ recent announcement that health care plans must follow new federal government policy regarding contraceptives. Under the Obama administration’s new policy, employers must include birth control in their health care plans. While the law spans state plans, UC SHIP is not mandated to provide coverage for birth control, yet has opted to consider it.

If put into effect, students would be able to receive birth control directly from the Ashe Center on campus in the form of contraceptive pills.

Under this new plan, the process of obtaining birth control for students would be streamlined. With birth control available through UC SHIP would come increased access and lessened confusion concerning exactly where birth control can be received.

This resource would not only prevent many potential unwanted pregnancies, but it would also save students the trouble of having to go through a third-party source such as Planned Parenthood or private doctors, which may not be as convenient or close as the on-campus Ashe Center.

This addition demonstrates that the UC understands the fact that birth control is a necessity for students. It shows that, instead of blindly advocating abstinence, the UC is willing to acknowledge that there are many students on campus who are sexually active.

Direct access to birth control from an on-campus source would also make students feel more comfortable with receiving such a service. Being comfortable is key here, as students in need of counseling or help might feel more open to this idea if they saw the UC as receptive to helping students.

In terms of cost, this would cause an increase of less than 1 percent to premiums, Rabinowitz said.

Because the cost is minimal, this is an extremely beneficial trade-off, as birth control is in high demand on campus.

Yet, some students disagree.

“I do mind the 1 percent increase,” said Sean Munter, a second-year civil engineering student. “Birth control is something specific, and not everyone should have to pay for this.”

A less than 1 percent increase, however, seems inconsequential when considering the benefit it will have on many other students in need of the prescription.

“You always have to look at a benefit plan on a planned structure to see what is beneficial to all the students,” Rabinowtiz said.

There may be other instances in which students pay for benefits they may not need.

Just because a student doesn’t need a wheelchair does not mean that a health insurance plan should not include one, Rabinowitz said. SHIP should take into consideration the UCLA student population as a whole. Benefits should not be picked.

Considering UCLA as a whole, birth control would do more good than harm.

The proposal simply shows the dedication and commitment the UC has to its students in providing affordable health care with as many useful and needed benefits as possible.

Are you in favor of SHIP covering birth control? Email Chu at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected] or tweet us @DBOpinion.

Brittany Chu