In the know: State of the state address

By Charley Guptill

Given the state of the state, with our less-than-stellar economy, Gov. Jerry Brown’s Wednesday speech was expected to be rather sad.

With last year’s tax-incentive program failing to pass and California remaining in debt, many assumed Brown would use the State of the State address to urge voters to OK a tax increase.

This was not the case.

Brown surprised Californians with an almost completely optimistic State of the State address. The speech was filled with examples of how California is the best, even if not economically.

Brown touched upon our state’s higher-than-average job growth and the passage of the Dream Act.

He spoke of how we are home to the most Nobel laureates, the most venture capital investments and a plethora of creative companies (think Apple, Twitter, Facebook).

When Brown’s speech turned to his tax initiative, he spoke with a common-sense conviction, even citing the U.S. Constitution. It sounded less like a tax hike and more like the moral Californian thing to do.

Even though he promised to cut back on government spending, Brown did urge voters to support the building of a high-speed, long-distance train.

He likened the $20 billion project to other famous, but seemingly impossible, projects ““ the Panama Canal and the Central Valley Water Project.

In the long run, a high-speed train is something this state ““ and this country ““ needs, but it comes at an awkward time.

Additionally, Brown’s comparison to the Panama Canal was a little dramatic.

Brown also spoke about his new education plan. A sizable chunk of the speech was dedicated to this issue ““ and for good reason.

His reform is comprehensive and is aimed at increasing efficiency.

The heart of the plan is focused on giving more authority to teachers and administrators, who are in close contact with students and are aware of their needs.

Funds, instead of being misdirected under state-mandated spending plans, would be allocated where they are needed most.

Overall, Brown’s optimism was refreshing and his quick mention of the Dream Act reminds us that even though the speech was intended to appeal to all Californians, he has kept his liberal lean.

Brown said it best: “We’re on the move, we’re on the mend, let’s get it done.”

Email Guptill at

[email protected] or tweet at us @DBOpinion.

Charley Guptill