Opening of Kinross Recreation Center further postponed

The new Kinross Recreation Center, now scheduled to open around the end of January, will be located in the Kinross Building.

By olivia hitchcock

The opening of Kinross Recreation Center has been put on hold again as a result of construction delays.

This is the third time the date has been changed ““ officials had originally planned to unveil the center on Jan. 1, 2011. Most recently, K-Rec had been set to open this Monday, Jan. 9.

Unexpected delays in the arrival of glazed glass storefronts have been the largest setback. The storefronts, which will help build an Associated Students UCLA marketplace in the center, will also encase the weight room, said Rich Mylin, associate director of facility and event operations for UCLA Recreation.

K-Rec is intended to serve the graduate student population living in university housing as a gym and common space. Officials are now looking at the end of January or early February to open the center, Mylin said.

The university has not incurred any additional costs, Mylin added. UCLA Recreation hopes to have a firm date scheduled by the end of next week.

Michael Weismeyer, president of the Graduate Students Association, said the GSA is working to plan a celebratory event in the week or two after K-Rec officially opens its doors.

olivia hitchcock