Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

The happiest club on earth

First-year mechanical engineering student Matthew Friedman, left, and fourth-year Spanish and global studies student Steven Sterrett started the first-ever Disney Club at UCLA last quarter. Meetings consist of watching Disney movies and discussing their background and stories.

By Andrea Barreto

Matthew Friedman danced with Roger Rabbit in a Disneyland parade at age 7 and has held an annual pass since the age of 4.

A self-proclaimed “Disney nut” in an entire family of annual park passholders, the first-year mechanical engineering student wasted no time in sharing his passion with others ““ he created the school’s official Disney club right after starting at UCLA.

Friedman, a San Diego native, found other students who shared his interest in Disney after his freshmen orientation. Using a social media application introduced to students by his orientation leader, he listed the company as one of his interests.

Through the application, Friedman realized many of his peers shared his love for Disney and decided to send emails to those students in an effort to form a club. When he received positive responses to his emails from several of the students, he began moving forward with plans for the club.

While searching for a place to hold the first meeting, Friedman learned that he shared his Hedrick Summit floor with another Disney buff ““ his resident assistant, Steven Sterrett.

The fourth-year Spanish and global studies student applies his Disney love toward his academics. He recently traveled to Tokyo Disneyland during winter break to do research for his thesis paper on Disney and globalization.

While there, he said he went on the Tower of Terror attraction about eight times in a row.

“The parks are so theatrical,” Sterrett said with a laugh. “Each ride is like a short film in itself.”

When Friedman approached Sterrett about using the floor study lounge as a meeting room, Sterrett not only said yes ““ he became a member himself.

Because Friedman is so knowledgeable about background information on the movies and theme parks, the meetings are almost like a Disney class, Sterrett said.

Meetings also consist of watching Disney movies in Friedman’s dorm room. Alexander Berry, a first-year mechanical engineering student and club member, said watching the movies makes him nostalgic for his childhood.

“It’s a lot of fun to see what we were enthralled by when we were kids,” said Berry.

Though Disney movies and the theme parks are integral to the club, members also look beyond to the company that created them. Friedman screens behind-the-scenes documentaries about various composers and artists who helped create the childhood classics, followed by an open discussion.

Friedman’s excitement for the subject is what makes the Disney Club work, Sterrett said.

“It feels like (we’re) having a good time with good friends,” Sterrett said.

Andrea Barreto