Protesters gather to participate in UC Board of Regents teleconference

The 11 regents in attendance at the James West Alumni Center spoke with other members of the Board at UC Davis, UC Merced, and UC San Francisco via teleconference.

Sidhaant Shah

Fourth-year political science student and former candidate for USAC president Matthew Spring (center) stands among protesters outside the James West Alumni Center during the UC Regents meeting.

For live updates, check out our Storify coverage of the regents meeting by clicking here.

A branch of the UC Board of Regents meeting teleconference is taking place at the UCLA campus today, and students have gathered in preparation to protest.

Early this morning, about 50 student protesters gathered outside of the James West Alumni Center. They came largely from the Occupy UCLA and the Fund the UC campaign, which is sponsored by the Undergraduate Student Association Council external vice president’s office.

Protesters sat outside with signs waiting for the meeting to start at 8:30 a.m. Nearby, about 15 colorful tents had been pitched on the lawn next to Bruin Plaza.

At 9 a.m., about 60 students from both movements entered the meeting to participate in an extended public comment section. About 150 UC students, staff and faculty signed up to speak at the four sites of the teleconference. Public comment began at the UC Davis location. Audio from the meeting was publicly broadcast throughout Bruin Plaza.

In his opening remarks from UC San Francisco, UC President Mark Yudof said students and administrators are on the same page in terms of peaceful protest and First Amendment rights.

Speakers demanded the regents to sign a pledge from union-supported group ReFund California Coalition, which calls for increased taxes on California’s wealthiest citizens and businesses.

At one point, Ahmed Mostafa, executive vice president for statewide affairs and fourth-year political science student at UC Santa Barbara, recited a poem to the regents, addressing his worries of tuition increases.

“Although I know you work hard for us, I just want to see some visible vocalization as well as collaboration, that would give me and many other students some consolation,” he said.

“We demand that you make a choice – will you serve interests of your class or will you act as educational leaders?” Cheryl Deutsch, a graduate student in urban planning and president of the United Auto Workers Local 2865, told the regents.

The ReFund California plan relies on a progressive tax policy to collect greater revenue from the highest income class as well as changes to Proposition 13, an amendment to the state’s constitution that decreases property taxes and requires a legislative supermajority to pass tax increases.

Compiled by Emily Suh and Brendan Jackson, Bruin contributors.