In the Know: Russia applies to the WTO

By Rohan Viswanathan

For the last 18 years, Russia has been the country boasting the world’s largest economy that does not participate in the World Trade Organization ““ but now, its streak may be coming to an end.

Georgia recently informed the WTO that it has accepted a Swiss proposal that would allow Russia entry into the organization. Until recently, Georgia had been Russia’s fiercest detractor ““ turmoil in 2008, which eventually ended in military action, did not help diplomatic relations between the two countries. Nearly three years after the incident, Georgia has approved trade between Russia and the provinces of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

While it may seem to be an insignificant event, Russia entering the WTO will greatly change the landscape of international trade. Since the demise of the Soviet Union, Russia has been the only major international player that has yet to take its rightful place in this vast entity of trade. Georgia approving Russia’s request is a testament to how far diplomatic relations have come between the two countries only three years after armed conflict.

Russia, once considered the black sheep of the U.N’s “big five,” is starting to receive the recognition it has yearned for. Joining the WTO may bring Russia one step closer into finally assimilating with the other members of the U.N. I believe the days of fearing a nuclear warfare by the Kremlin have vanished, and now come the days of respecting Russia as an international leader on a grand stage.

Rohan Viswanathan