UCLA graduate student Andrew Cajas places top six in TV competition show “Chinese Bridge,” wins three-year scholarship prize

Courtesy of Andrew Cajas

By Charley Guptill

Shoppers at malls in China recognize Andrew Cajas.

It’s part of being a television celebrity.

This summer, Cajas, a graduate student in UCLA’s East Asian studies program, placed fifth in a Chinese competition show called “Chinese Bridge.”

The show brings in 120 contestants, all of whom are non-native and non-heritage speakers of Mandarin, to compete in events that test their knowledge of Chinese language and culture.

Growing up in East Los Angeles, Cajas began learning about Chinese culture in seventh grade when his best friend, a Cantonese American, taught him a few Cantonese phrases.

This early immersion into Chinese culture encouraged him to take Mandarin classes during his time at Mt. San Antonio Community College, before transferring to UC Berkeley.

“I was always around and interested in the culture, …(which) gave me an edge (in the competition),” Cajas said.

But despite knowing the Mandarin language, Cajas said he did not really start learning about Chinese culture until he began his graduate classes at UCLA.

Beyond studying Mandarin in a classroom, Cajas said his love of Chinese media helped him master the language.

He watched Chinese television shows and listened to popular Chinese songs to help him achieve fluency.

Cajas’ knowledge of popular Chinese songs helped him gain popularity during the competition in China.

But the fame stays in China. Back at home, Cajas said things remain the same, although he is a more confident person because of his experience.

Cajas said he has found it easier to make friends in China after the competition because he knows the culture and is not seen as an outsider.

Despite dealing with fame overseas, Cajas said his work ethic has not really changed.

“I’ve always been pretty diligent,” Cajas said.

Kevin Kuo, a second-year mathematics student and friend of Cajas’, said he was impressed when he first met Cajas because of his ability in Mandarin.

Kuo said the competition increased Cajas’ fluency, and Cajas is now more competent at making Mandarin-speaking friends.

As one of the top six contestants, Cajas will receive three years’ tuition to a Chinese university as well as round-trip international airfare, accommodations, insurance and a monthly allowance to study in China. All of the prizes are paid for by a sector of the Chinese government that promotes the Mandarin language worldwide.

The government gives the prizes to the top contestants in hopes that their studies will contribute to this goal.

Although he has not decided what he will study with the scholarship, Cajas said he is debating between music performance and language.

Regardless of what he ends up studying, Cajas said he hopes to perform as a career.

Charley Guptill