Saturday, May 4, 2024

Men's cross country shines while the women's team struggles at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational on Friday

By Andrew Moncada

The men and women’s cross country teams are heading in opposite directions.

While one has been stringing together strong performances and successful meets, the other has been bruised and battered in the face of increased competition.

Friday’s Wisconsin Adidas Invitational in Madison, Wis was no different.

The No. 22 men’s squad came away with an impressive 12th place finish in a field that included 20 teams ranked in the top 30.

Redshirt senior Kent Morikawa led the Bruins with a time of 24:25.2. Freshman Shayne Collins(24:34.4), sophomore Nohe Lema (24:36.3), sophomore Dustin Fay (24:51.8), and redshirt freshman Chase Zukerman (25:01.1) rounded out the rest of the scoring five.

While No.2 Wisconsin took the top prize, the Bruins managed to run strong together as a pack and edged out No. 10 Oregon and No. 16 Georgetown.

The women’s squad came away with a disappointing 43rd place finish but continues to build toughness and composure as many of the runners experience collegiate running for the first time.

Redshirt junior Katja Goldring led her team with a time of 21:45.6. Freshman Annie Mooney (22:11.1), redshirt freshman Kelsey Smith (22:21.6), freshman Bronte Golick (22:28.9), and freshman Hannah Valenzuela (22:36.0) rounded out the rest of the scoring five.

No. 24 Washington won the women’s meet.

Both squads compete again on Saturday at the Bronco Invitational but send different runners from the ones that competed Friday.

Andrew Moncada