In the Know: Amanda Knox

By Brittany Chu

The sensationalism of the Amanda Knox trial, capturing the attention of millions, has recently called into question the role of the media in its portrayals of criminal court cases. Knox, an American foreign exchange student, was recently acquitted of her conviction with her former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, of killing her roommate in a sex game gone awry.

Now, after four years of a long-winded and emotionally charged debate, Knox and Sollecito are going home. The drastic decision to overturn a murder conviction questions not only the police handling of this case, but, more importantly, her unjust and varying public portrayal. What ensued throughout the initial trial was more of a character assassination of Knox rather than an accurate depiction of the events that unfolded. Knox and Sollecito were convicted on largely circumstantial evidence which is why the acquittal comes as no surprise.

With headlines such as “Foxy Knoxy” and false stories printed about Knox having HIV/AIDs, it is clear that the focus was on her character when it should have only been on her alleged involvement in the event. Knox was depicted as a psychopathic seductress, virginal on the outside but a murderer in reality, sex-craved and dangerous. Various media outlets capitalized on prosecutor presentations of Knox as a “luciferina,” or she-devil, making her a media sensation. This supposed perception of Knox, whether true or false, has forever tarnished her reputation.

Furthermore, the memory of the victim herself has been largely lost in the whirlwind of media attention placed on Knox. With Knox’s ruled innocence comes an opportunity to repair the damage done to both Knox and the victim. Further investigations will be conducted, which I can only hope will be handled more appropriately by all sides involved. The damage done is undeserved, and I can only hope that steps will be taken to repair what has happened.

Email Chu at [email protected]. Send general comments to

[email protected].

Brittany Chu