Performers from the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra introduce electric guitar to classical music

By Jennifer Nguyen

Electric guitar is probably not the first instrument one thinks of upon hearing the words “classical music.” The instrument will take center stage for the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra Sunday at Royce Hall in a performance that opens the symphony’s 43rd season and marks the 15th anniversary of music director and pianist Jeffrey Kahane.

The concert, appropriately titled “electric,” features Grammy-nominated Dutch electric guitarist Wiek Hijmans, who will perform the West Coast premiere of a concerto specifically written for him by LACO’s composer-in-residence, Derek Bermel.

According to Hijmans, the concerto, titled “Ritornello,” is a cross between Baroque music and Irish fiddling that, despite its highly structured form, leaves much room for improvisation by the musician.

Hijmans also said that incorporating an instrument typically used in rock and roll and jazz into the contemporary classical world highlights the versatility and beauty of the sounds produced by the electric guitar.

“There may be one or two moments where people find it a little shocking or noisy, but most of the time, they will be happily surprised with the sound possibilities that the instrument adds to the orchestra,” said Hijmans. “To many people, it’s an eye opener if they hear music like this.”

According to Hijmans, the performance is about introducing electric guitar to a wider audience and bringing together listeners of all types of music. Hijmans said he also wants to encourage people to discover and appreciate genres outside of their comfort zone.

“To attract an audience that usually listens to Mozart and Beethoven to also listen to contemporary electric guitar music without pushing them away, to me, that’s maybe even the bigger challenge, and a lot of fun to do,” said Hijmans.

The concert’s program will also include the West Coast premiere of the piece “Sidereus” by composer Osvaldo Golijov, as well the traditional classical music favorites such as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s “Overture to The Magic Flute” and Ludwig van Beethoven’s “Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major,” which features Kahane as both the conductor and piano soloist.

According to Rachel Fine, executive director of the orchestra, this combination of traditional and modern pieces into a single concert reflects the progressive type of programming that the symphony prides itself upon.

“We do not want to alienate anyone who is dedicated to more traditional classical music, but we certainly need to think about future generations,” said Fine. “It’s really a balancing act.”

The idea for the concert came largely from Kahane, who, according to Fine, is a traditional musician with contemporary taste and a knack for striking that perfect harmony between new and old. Kahane can create programs that make sense musically, while still maintaining audience appeal, Fine added.

According to Hijmans, the real experiment is not merely playing electric guitar in classical music, but performing it alongside conventional works such as Mozart’s in order to challenge listeners.

According to Lacey Huszcza, director of advancement for the orchestra, the innovative use of a mainstream instrument in a classical setting will draw in a much younger audience than the ones that usually attend LACO performances.

Huszcza also said that, in the effort to pique interest among a younger crowd, the orchestra has set up a special opportunity called the “Campus to Concert Hall” program, which provides an all-access pass to college students that enables them to attend multiple concerts at a discounted price and connect with the music.

“At LACO, we really strive in making great music personal,” Huszcza said. “It’s both community building and collaborative and also helps build audiences for the future; and I think the goal is two folds here.”

Jennifer Nguyen