Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Segerstrom Center for the Arts' "West Side Story" retains classic charm but lacks energy of Broadway show

By Jennifer Nguyen

West Side Story
Segerstrom Hall
Through today
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pnghalfpaw_t820.png

The lights dim on the stage of Segerstrom Hall to reveal a darkened city street. Two gangs of unruly, adolescent boys creep silently into the spotlight and face off in a manner that does not typically happen in a deserted alleyway: ballet.

This is the opening scene of Segerstrom Center for the Arts’ latest production of “West Side Story.” The Tony-award winning musical is an adaptation of “Romeo and Juliet” set in Upper West Side New York during the 1950s.

Capulets and Montagues are replaced by two gangs of teenage boys: the Sharks, a group of Puerto Ricans disillusioned with the American Dream by the prejudices they face in their new home, and the Jets, a band of middle-class white kids who believe it is their right and duty to protect their turf from the “PR’s.”

Maria and Tony, played by Ali Ewoldt and Kyle Harris respectively, are the star-crossed lovers who meet their tragic fate through a whirlwind of intricate choreography and upbeat show tunes.

The production had a few charming moments, but overall it lacked the high energy and memorable musical numbers that is usually found in a Broadway show.

Perhaps it was opening night jitters, but the two leads sang with such tremor in their voices that it was hard to enjoy the music. When the two came together for the duet “Tonight,” it was nearly impossible to understand the lyrics.

Moreover, it was surprising that nearly half the dialogue was in Spanish. Perhaps the producers wanted to stay realistic to their characters, but it was frustrating trying to comprehend what was going on and disappointing to miss out on potentially witty and dramatic lines.

Although the show missed the mark on a few accounts, the innovative choreography by Jerome Robbins was absolutely incredible. The dancing was integrated seamlessly into the production and helped push the story along with constant tension and vitality. Standout numbers include the swanky “Cool” and, arguably the most memorable performance of the night, “Somewhere,” a beautiful and poignant ballet piece that tugs at the heartstrings and gives hope that the two lovers can have a happy ending, if only just for that moment.

Jennifer Nguyen