Paper will engage with community

By Lauren Jow

In Los Angeles, there’s really not much of a difference between the end of summer and the beginning of fall.

But over the course of a weekend at UCLA, the quiet, empty Bruin Walk of summer transforms into the hub of student activity, teeming with signboards and fliering as Bruins come home in full force.

The transformation is dramatic. Throughout the year, the campus will continue to change ““ even if the seasons don’t. And that’s because any change you notice at UCLA is a product of what you do.

This year at the Daily Bruin, we’re taking up that proactive ethos to transform the way we bring you the news. The buzz around the newsroom has a hashtag for it: #engage.

It’s our motto for this year. We’ll be applying it through images because what you do is just as important as how you perceive it.

We know you have a lot of reading to do ““ we do, too ““ so we’re going to emphasize photos, graphics and illustrations in print and paint more evocative pictures with our words.

In a few days, you’ll see the advent of our new multimedia blog Focus, which will feature photos, videos and radio content in the style of what I like to call journalistic art.

The way we present you the news is just as important, so our design has evolved, too. Those of you who’ve been away all summer may notice that the paper you’re holding is noticeably thinner. While you were gone, we slimmed down by 2 inches and took the opportunity to refresh our look.

But all these changes bring us back to you, the reader. Our ability to serve our community effectively depends on our public image, or how valuable a resource you see us as.

We’re going to reach beyond the doors of our newsroom and into all corners of campus. Our reporters will meet up and check in with you, reach out to you through Twitter and Facebook and bring the news to where you are from people you know.

But any change has to come from our self-image. We’re taking a good hard look at ourselves and our place at UCLA so that you can see us there, too.

We hope we’ll captivate you as one of our loyal readers this year. Or maybe, if you really like what you see, you’ll join us.

Whatever you do at UCLA, and whoever you are, remember to stay engaged.

Welcome home, Bruins.

Jow is the 2011-2012 editor in chief. Email Jow at [email protected]

Lauren Jow