Phi Kappa Psi suspension will not delay reconstruction of fraternity house

The Phi Kappa Psi house at UCLA awaits a $5 million demolition and reconstruction funded by alumni donations, despite the recent suspension of the fraternity from campus.

By Kylie Reynolds

Aug. 29, 2011 7:22 a.m.

Phi Kappa Psi was recently suspended from UCLA’s campus for three years, but plans for construction of a new fraternity house are still underway.

After a series of “risk-management” violations, including alcohol and unauthorized events, the fraternity was alerted of their status this month, said Jeremy Tillman, a 1999 UCLA and Phi Kappa Psi alumnus.

The national chapter declined to comment on the specific policy violations that led to the suspension.

While the decision was made by the national chapter, it was supported by the fraternity’s UCLA alumni and the university, Tillman said.

Phi Kappa Psi is the first fraternity to be suspended from campus since Theta Xi in August 2005.

The chapter will return to campus as a functioning fraternity in fall 2014, said Shawn Collinsworth, executive director of the Phi Kappa Psi national chapter.

Phi Kappa Psi was on social probation at the time of the suspension. The national chapter had been conducting an investigation since March into allegations of inappropriate actions, said Berky Nelson, director for the Center of Student Programming.

During their suspension, all students who are active members of the fraternity are put on alumni status and cannot have any parties, events or intramural sports teams under the name of Phi Kappa Psi, Tillman said.

The suspension, however, will not delay upcoming plans for demolition of the current Phi Kappa Psi house at 613 Gayley Ave., and construction of a new house in its place, Tillman said.

The project is expected to begin in a few weeks. Budgeted at $5 million, the construction is funded through alumni donations.

While alumni were disappointed with the fraternity’s actions, they are now focusing on the longevity of the chapter, Tillman said.

“I would prefer if they were on campus, but I would also prefer if they followed the rules,” he said.

“We appreciate the partnership of UCLA, and we are focused on rebuilding the house.”

Kylie Reynolds