For singer Cary Brothers, the goal is to tell personal stories through his music

Courtesy of Cary Brothers

By Leah Christianson

Cary Brothers is performing as part of the Sunset Junction music festival on Aug. 27. He spoke with Daily Bruin’s Leah Christianson about his writing process, the beginning of his career and his songs’ commercial success.

Daily Bruin: When did you begin playing music and writing lyrics?
Cary Brothers: I got my first guitar when I was 13. I was therapeutically writing music for years and not thinking that it was something I could actually make a living with. I only got up on stage for the first time about 10 years ago. Soon after that I started playing at the Hotel Café and everything changed.

DB: How did you get started at the Hotel Café?
CB: I went to see Gary Jules because he did a cover of “Mad World” on the Donnie Darko soundtrack that was so beautiful that I just had to see him play. I walked up to him afterwards and asked how I could play there. He brought me up for an open mic night, and asked me to open for him two weeks later. I’ve been playing there ever since. I’ve been very lucky to find that, because L.A. is not the easiest place to find gigs.

DB: Where do you find inspiration for your songs?
CB: I’m someone who has the highest highs and the lowest lows. There are a lot of ex-girlfriends involved. But these days ““ I’m actually writing for the new record right now ““ I’m trying to figure out what that inspiration actually is. I wish I knew where it came from; it would certainly make it easier to figure out what the new record is going to sound like. I just tell the most personal story I can and hope that somebody out there cares about it.

DB: Who are your musical influences?
CB: I’m a huge Peter Gabriel fan. He managed to write songs that are both personal and political, and I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a better voice in my life. I actually did a cover of his song “Don’t Give Up” that I just posted online, and I got a note a couple days ago that he had heard it and loved it. I’m still kind of floating from that. That’s definitely the good news of the week.

DB: Your songs appear in a lot of TV shows and movies, including “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Easy A.” Was it your goal to get songs on soundtracks rather than on the radio?
CB: I grew up listening to John Hughes’s movie soundtracks, and found some of my favorite songs from movies from my youth. I’m kind of a film geek, so whenever I write a song, it’s for me, and it includes a cinematic element too. It’s a great way to get music to a lot of people without spending a fortune on a radio campaign. I’ve figured out a way to have my own angle in getting my music to people. The songs happen to work well for the shows. I get to do exactly what I want to do, and I’ve found a way to make money doing it, which is a miracle.

DB: Your music has also appeared in “Garden State,” “The Last Kiss,” and the TV show “Scrubs,” all of which are produced by Zach Braff. Why do you think your music complements so much of his onscreen work?
CB: Zach and I have known each other since we were broke in L.A. together. I was helping him with the script and when the movie came around, he asked if he could put “Blue Eyes” on the soundtrack. That soundtrack was more like a mix tape that a bunch of friends made than some corporately organized soundtrack, which is one of the reasons it works. After that, directors of some of Zach’s other projects got in touch with me for soundtracks. Zach was a great help in getting some love in the film and TV world.

DB: You’re playing at the Los Angeles music festival, Sunset Junction, on August 27. How did you get involved with the festival?
CB: I’m on the Hotel Café stage at Sunset Junction, and the owner Marko Shafer called me up and asked me if I’d like to play. I’ve been going to Sunset Junction since I moved to L.A. ages ago, so it’s such an honor to be playing it. I’m so excited to be playing at night on Sunset Boulevard.

DB: Is this the first big music festival you’ve played?
CB: I’ve played festivals here and there, but this is the first time that I’ve played something like this in Los Angeles. I’ve been touring so much that L.A. has become where I sleep, not where I live. It’s really important to me that I get to play a big festival that’s literally blocks from my apartment. I might actually walk there, which is why it may be the greatest festival I will ever play.

DB: Will this be one of the biggest crowds you’ve ever performed for?
CB: Not necessarily. I’ve played so many shows at this point that I’ve forgotten about size. It’s more the excitement of playing for my hometown crowd that I’m looking forward to, but I do imagine that a lot of people will be out that night. I’m so excited to see the other bands that are playing “”mdash; Butthole Surfers (and) Bobby Womack … Bands that I loved growing up will be playing there, and I’m thrilled to get to be a part of it.

Leah Christianson