Monday, May 6, 2024

For UCLA alumna Jennifer Jajeh, working in entertainment offers way to create meaning, explore people's lives

By Lenika Cruz

In addition to being both writer and star of the critically successful solo theater show “I Heart Hamas: And Other Things I’m Afraid to Tell You,” UCLA alumna Jennifer Jajeh finds other outlets for her creative and performing energies. “I Heart Hamas” explores one woman’s search for self-understanding as a Palestinian-American who is neither fully part of one culture or the other.

While the show inevitably touches on controversial topics as they relate to Jajeh’s personal identity, many of her other works attend to less politically bent ideas.

“While I’m interested in social issues, not all of my projects have that focus,” Jajeh said.

Her latest project, a web talk show series called “In Bed with Jen Jajeh,” is more straightforward entertainment. Each episode features Jajeh interviewing a different artist in her bed (both clad in bathrobes) about how one creates a life and career as a working artist. Jajeh said the project sprouted from an interest in how people create identities for themselves.

“I thought it was a great opportunity to talk to other artists to find out what their behind-the-scenes selves look like,” Jajeh said. “It’s why I interview people in bed ““ you always see artists in front of the camera; their images are so constructed. “¦ I wanted to find out who the person is behind the press kit, or what is underneath the skin that’s not really apparent to the average person.”

Four episodes are currently available for viewing at Jajeh’s YouTube channel, “InBedTV.”

Jajeh also co-produced ““Mr. C in Heaven,” a feature documentary which she said should be released later in 2011.

The film follows Ernie Orozco ““ the titular “Mr. C” ““ a city bus repairman by day who pursues his lifelong dream of being a celebrity impersonator by night. While he impersonates 1970s sportscaster Howard Cosell, a tall, slender Jewish man, “Mr. C” himself is a fifty-something, slightly stout first generation Mexican-American man. Nonetheless, these physical mismatches don’t stop him.

“It’s a story about following your dreams no matter how far-fetched,” Jajeh said.

According to Jajeh, while the life of the working artist is not always the easiest, she would not have it any other way.

“I’m hooked,” Jajeh said. “I feel like my strength is in communicating through stories. It allows for a lot of entertainment, but also healing “¦ and gives me a chance to be curious about other people’s lives. For me, it feels like a powerful, exciting way to create meaning in the world.”

Lenika Cruz