Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

New fund for UCLA Achievement Scholarships will aid incoming first-years and transfers

By Andrea Barreto

Last week UCLA announced a $20 million scholarship fund for incoming first-years and transfer students this fall.

The UCLA Achievement Scholarships are part of a $200 million donation UCLA received in February from the Lincy Foundation.

The top 5 percent of admitted first-years and transfers with a demonstrated financial need are eligible for the scholarship, said Vu Tran, director of undergraduate admissions and relations with schools.

Entering students who qualify can receive up to $9,200 in scholarships a year to pay for the remainder of tuition costs not covered by loans or grants. So far, 199 eligible first-years have accepted the scholarship, though a UCLA spokesperson could not comment on the number of scholarships offered.

Tran said $20 million is enough to support two classes of first-years and two classes of transfers, after which the program will be assessed to determine if it can continue.

First-years can apply to renew their scholarships for three years and transfers for one year.

For students with financial difficulties, like incoming first-year undeclared student Stephanie Rivera, this type of scholarship can significantly impact their college choices.

Rivera participated in a high school program that helps low-income students pursue higher education by organizing academic workshops and visits to different campuses. Rivera said that even though her parents could not afford to pay college tuition, the program encouraged her to see past financial obstacles.

“In high school, we were told not to pay attention to the money (and to) focus on what we want,” Rivera said.

Rivera was not offered a UCLA Achievement Scholarship, but she accepted her offer to UCLA and is still looking for ways to fund her education.

Data for transfers is not yet available because they have until June 1 to submit their statements of intent to register, said UCLA spokeswoman Claudia Luther.

Incoming third-year English student Andrea Perez said her financial aid package did not vary much from school to school, but she is concerned about her educational goals for the future because of the economic situation.

As a transfer, Perez said she plans to commute next year to reduce costs so she can pursue a graduate degree.

“I’m afraid I’ll fall into debt before I get into my master’s (program),” Perez said.

With reports from Golmah Zarinkhou, Bruin contributor.

Andrea Barreto