Slate gets first USAC majority in four years

By James Barragan, Serli Polatoglu, and Elizabeth Case

Bruins United candidate Emily Resnick was elected president, and her slate captured a majority of the seats in undergraduate student government for next year.

The slate won seven of 10 contested positions ““ the first Bruins United majority since the 2007-2008 school year.

“I think we gave it our all. It was the best week of my life,” Resnick said after her victory.
Resnick garnered 54.9 percent of the votes, beating Matt Spring of Students First! by almost 10 percent. Both Resnick and Spring are current general representatives in the Undergraduate Students Association Council.

Jason Youdeem, one of the Bruins United co-chairs and a fourth-year global studies student, said his slate’s victory is a result of grassroots campaigning with a special focus on fraternities, sororities and the Jewish community.

“This year, we were organized, we had the most relevant platforms, and we were in tune with student needs,” he said.

Soon after results were announced Thursday night, there were shouts of “The puppet master, the puppet master! You pulled it off,” referring to Youdeem’s role in the Bruins United victory.

Joelle Gamble, one of the only winners from the Students First! slate, was elected external vice president with 50.2 percent of the vote, while Kristina Sidrak of Bruins United was elected internal vice president with 56.7 percent.

Voter turnout increased from last year. Out of 24,463 eligible undergraduate students, 38.1 percent voted this year, compared with 35 percent last year.

“We had a very fair, respectful and civil election,” said Patrick Ahrens, the Election Board chair and a fourth-year political science student.

Next year’s council will show a noticeable shift in slate control. Students First! has existed in various forms for 30 years and has traditionally held a majority on the council. Bruins United was established less than a decade ago and, before Thursday’s election, had only held a majority twice.

Currently, Bruins United holds four elected positions, compared to six from the Students First! slate.

“I was obviously disappointed in the results, but USAC isn’t the only place to fight. I hope that next year’s council realizes the privilege that comes along with their positions,” said Cristopher Santos, a member of Students First! and the current external vice president.

Bruins United also took the positions of Academic Affairs commissioner, Facilities commissioner and Financial Supports commissioner, each with margins of more than 10 percent over their opponents.

David Bocarsly and Dan Chikanov also secured two of the three general representative positions for Bruins United, with Jason Smith of Students First! filling out the last seat. Voters demonstrated strong support for Bocarsly, who received 2,281 votes ““ significantly more than any of the other five candidates.

Incumbent Kinnery Shah of Students First! inched by her opponent Ashley Cartwright by 0.4 percent to capture the position of Cultural Affairs commissioner for another year.

In the three uncontested positions, Jamie Yao will be Community Service commissioner, Tamir Sholklapper will be Student Welfare commissioner and Daniel Soto will be Campus Events commissioner.

Newly elected officers will be initiated on May 22.

James Barragan