Presidential candidates rally votes – Daniel Yadegari

Daniel Yadegari

By Shoshee Jau

Growing up, Daniel Yadegari watched the news with his mother, and he always had something to say.

Whether it was political suggestions or scientific commentary, Yadegari was never at a loss for ideas, said his mother, Sourozandeh Yadegari.

A third-year psychology student, Yadegari is an independent presidential candidate in the Undergraduate Students Association Council’s 2011-2012 race.

He said he characterizes his life by the words persistence and dedication. Yadegari lived in Houston before moving to Los Angeles at the age of 10, and he said his experiences growing up outside California have given him a broader perspective on running a large university community.

“I came from a conservative background, and I want to bring more conservative spending to UCLA,” Yadegari said. “UCLA spends a lot of money and also wastes a lot, and a lot of what is wasted can go back to students.”

By running for president, Yadegari said he hopes to realize some of the changes he has always wanted to see on campus. As a transfer student from Santa Monica College who has paid his way through college education by himself, Yadegari said he is sensitive to the difficulties of the financially needy.

“I’m stressed under the cost of UCLA, and I relate to students who can’t afford a textbook this quarter, who have to spend more time at Powell renting it out, or those who can’t buy food on campus because it’s too expensive,” he said.

Before entering UCLA, Yadegari worked full-time for two and a half years, saving up enough money to pay for UCLA, which he said has always been his dream. When the time came to transfer out of community college, UCLA was the only school Yadegari applied to.

In his past year at UCLA, Yadegari has spent his time volunteering at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and getting involving with his fraternity, Theta Chi.

Yadegari’s brother, Mike, said he has always been a leader in his community and group of friends. In high school, Yadegari spent time planning and organizing programs for Taglit-Birthright Israel, an organization that promotes unity and fosters cultural identity among Jewish young adults.

“He has very great ideals, and I think he would be able to transform the UCLA student body into a more loving and unified one,” Mike Yadegari said. “He would be a president that would unite under one cause ““ being a Bruin and having a kind of brotherly love because you are associated with UCLA.”

Yet despite his involvement with organizations and the outside community, Yadegari said his heart lies with his family and his close friends. Even after moving out of his home to attend UCLA, he continues to visit home and prioritize his family’s needs over his other responsibilities, he said.

Sourozandeh Yadegari said her son has always been responsible with caring for the family, especially with his 12-year-old sister.

“He’s the sweetest, most dependable person,” she said. “He was working on his own for a while, and he always was very generous. … When his older sister was getting married, he helped with our expenses.”

Yadegari’s dedication and persistence in holding true to his promises has impacted many of those who have come into contact with him, said Samuel Zablen, a third-year business and economics student and personal friend of Yadegari. For Yadegari, running for president is simply a means of demonstrating his love for UCLA students.

“I want to create a better atmosphere for UCLA students,” he said. “Things are going to change, and I want to get my voice out by running for president.”

Shoshee Jau