USAC to launch the first farmers market on the Hill

FARMER’S MARKET
Today, 3-7 p.m.
De Neve Plaza

By Kelly Zhou and Crystal Hsing

At a farmers market a few weeks ago, Avery Gerber bought red carrots for the first time. Red on the outside with an orange interior, these vegetables offered an alternative to supermarket carrots.

Farmers markets often offer unique fare from independent vendors, providing a different experience from shopping at a grocery store.
“I would have never bought those in a store,” said Gerber, a fourth-year linguistics and French student. “(Farmers markets are) kind of a nice way to get back in touch with your food and know where it comes from.”

Gerber, the co-chair of student sustainability group E3: Ecology, Economy, Equity, will run a booth at UCLA’s first farmers market, held today in De Neve Plaza.

Hosted by Undergraduate Students Association Council General Representative Emily Resnick’s office, the farmers market includes offerings such as seasonal fruits and vegetables, Afghan food, waffles and baked goods.

There will also be live performances and sustainability booths.

Resnick has been planning the farmers market since early last year.

Originally scheduled to start in November, the project faced a number of obstacles, particularly since a farmers market has never been held on campus before.

Previously designed for Bruin Plaza, the event moved to De Neve Plaza when Resnick found out Bruin Plaza was a fire zone.

Though it was intended as a weekly event, it evolved into a single event for spring quarter.

Resnick said the market was limited by the size and scope of the De Neve quad, so her office chose quality over quantity. There will be just 12 vendors at the event, according to Nicole Klein, a third-year linguistics and psychology student and the office’s farmers market director.

Second-year art and psychology student Kylie Carrigan said she didn’t know much about the event, but found out about it from her floor meeting as a De Neve resident.

Carrigan said she will try to attend the event to buy the items that aren’t easily attainable for Hill residents.

“Fresh fruit … is something that’s really hard to come by in the dorms, so I would definitely want to check it out,” Carrigan said.

Gerber added that the farmers market makes it easy for students to learn about different food options and get local, organic foods.

“It’s a really amazing opportunity to learn,” Gerber said. “You get very disconnected from your food when you only buy from the supermarket or only go to the dining halls.”

Kelly Zhou