Men’s volleyball aims to serve up a win against rival USC

Redshirt junior Ryal Jagd and the No. 8 Bruins take on the No. 1 Trojans today.

USC
Today, 7 p.m.
USC
Follow GameTracker on UCLABruins.com

By Benjamin Kelly

The importance of today’s match for the UCLA men’s volleyball team has nothing to do with standings, seeds or rankings. The team’s postseason fate has already been determined.

Rather, the showdown against USC gives UCLA one more shot at a signature win and a final burst of momentum.

The No. 8 Bruins (16-12, 9-11 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) have been met with on-and-off success for the entire season. They will need to put together an unparalleled effort if they want to challenge the No. 1 Trojans (19-2, 18-2).

USC previously beat UCLA 3-1 on Jan. 28 in a match with two two-point sets, but UCLA’s team dynamic has since changed. The Trojans haven’t had to deal with freshman outside hitter Robart Page, a 7-footer with a vicious serve who has a habit of stepping up in away games.

“Rob didn’t play back then, so we’ll see how he plays against (the Trojans),” said coach Al Scates, who has since turned to him as a starter. “It will be interesting.”

The Bruins haven’t pulled off any major upsets this season. They hold a 1-6 record against the top four teams: USC, UC Irvine, BYU and Stanford.

Senior opposite Murphy Troy and junior outside hitter Tony Ciarelli will lead a vicious USC offense that confounded UCLA in January. The two national standouts have led the Trojan powerhouse to the top seed in the conference.

On the other side of the net, freshman outside hitter Gonzalo Quiroga leads the Bruins in kills and aces. His ability to step up in tight moments has turned matches around, and there should be plenty of those moments tonight. He is one of many in a deep squad, all of whom will need near-perfect performances.

“It’s just going to come down to whoever works harder,” redshirt junior setter Alex Scattareggia said. “We both have such talented players; whoever works harder will win the game.”

Except for the unlikely case in which Long Beach State loses its last match and UCLA wins both of its last two, the Bruins and Trojans will meet again in nine days for the MPSF playoffs.

“Whatever happens (today), we just need to know that we play them again on the 23rd, and that should keep us pumped,” redshirt junior outside hitter Ryal Jagd said. “We’ve just gotta have more heart.”

Benjamin Kelly

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999