Wednesday, May 1, 2024

'Battle of the Bands' to bring art and activism to Kerckhoff

By Jennifer Nguyen

A night of great music and fierce competition. No, I’m not talking about “American Idol.”

Mighty Mic will present its annual “Battle of the Bands” at Kerckhoff Grand Salon Thursday at 7 p.m. The list of performers includes The Dustbowl Revival, No Insurance, Dulcet Trey, Psykes, Aaron & Jane and Cameron Hovsepian.

Mighty Mic is a student-run organization that works throughout the year hosting educational events in order to spread awareness on campus about international human rights violations. Each year, they focus on a different humanitarian issue to which they direct their attention and efforts. This year, they choose to shed light on the pressing issue of sex trafficking in Southeast Asia.

The band who reigns supreme at the competition will be rewarded with the opportunity of performing at the Mighty Mic concert during spring quarter. The concert, a showcase featuring a variety of acts including musical performers, speakers, and educational information, is the biggest event put on by the organization every year and the largest benefit concert on the UCLA campus.

The “Battle of the Bands” promises to be a great night that brings together art and activism. It is truly music with a cause.

Jennifer Nguyen