Saturday, May 4, 2024

Dancers' spirits soar with rising curtains

One dancer watches the Dance Marathon stage while dressed as Spiderman as a part of the superpowers theme.

By Ryan Miller

Superman just got tossed into the air. I could have sworn I saw him fly for a split second.

With less than four hours to go, more and more students are shaking out the lactic acid and flooding the dance floor, donned with masks and capes for the Superpower theme.

The energy in the room seems to be on the incline as the curtains have just been raised. After a weekend full of rain, the sight of sun feels like a breath of fresh air. Or maybe for these students, a substitute for caffeine.

It is important not to forget the contribution of the students participating and the Pediatric Aids Coalition for hosting such a special event.

“It’s so empowering that even in our economy, people are willing to donate and contribute,” said Nina Raj, the student director of media for the event.

Raj, a third-year film student, said that she has been part of Dance Marathon for the past six years. She said that each year, more and more people get involved, and that she plans on helping out the cause any way she can even after she graduates. Now that is dedication.

The musician on stage keeps singing the phrases “Yes, I can” and “Everything’s alright” over and over again. I am starting to feel like I’m at a Sunday church gospel.

Ryan Miller