Thursday, May 2, 2024

The writing on the bathroom walls inspires the tired

Fourth-year biology student Shannon Dervin shows her support for Team Red at the 10th annual Dance Marathon.

By Elisa Mosler

“Never put Icy-Hot on your vagina.” Crucial advice from the Pediatric Aids Coalition, kindly posted on the women’s restroom walls.

Other pearls of motivational wisdom include: “Sitters are quitters! But you’re amazing!” and “Everytime you sit down a unicorn dies.”

If you walk into Ackermann Ballroom now, after the smell of hummus and sweat hits you, you will see hundreds of dedicated Bruins dancing, mostly in tie-dye and flower-power costumes. As the first of the dancers are getting tired, these bathroom signs are the things helping to motivate them.

Madonna, Jay Z and other chart toppers are helping the dancers power through. Only two and a half hours in, many of the dancers are complaining of fatigue already.

Kristin Rumery from the Pediatric Aids Coalition said the turnout is higher than last year’s Dance Marathon. Over 100 helpers from the committee are bustling around pumping up delirious dancers and making sure everything goes smoothly.

Dancers taking a break in the restroom will hopefully re-energize on seeing the sign that proclaims: “Justin Bieber says “Don’t stop dancing.‘”

Elisa Mosler