Students change into pajamas, but they're not sleeping

Moralers take the stage during the 10th annual Dance Marathon, to keep participants energized as they stay on their feet for 26 hours.

By Elisa Mosler

More than 1,500 students in pajamas. The new “dream” theme makes most of the dancers look like they’ve just rolled out of bed, albeit with a lot of energy. In fact, this could be an over-caffeinated De Neve Plaza breakfast scene.

Morale and energy is back up in the Ackerman Grand Ballroom after speeches and performances. High-energy chart hip-hop is keeping these students pumping.

Screens on either side of the dance floor, usually showing music videos, switched to show a humorous video sketch made by the Pediatric AIDS Coalition. The screen then showed a countdown before dozens of “moralers” (PAC volunteers working to keep energy up) burst in from a side door of the ballroom. These constant breaks and features keep the dancers’ attentions on the dance floor.

Dancers looking for a change of pace can wander to the entrance of the ballroom, where there are various stands. There is a Camp Heartland stand, where students can sign up for e-mail newsletters and pick up some free candy. There is also a silent auction, where dancers can bid on eBay items such as iPhones and a cabin in Big Bear.

However, most dancers appear to be maintaining their stamina; most of them, it seems, are staying on the densely packed dance floor.

“I am having fun so far,” said Caroline Morgan, a third-year political science student. “It feels better to keep moving than to stand still.”

Elisa Mosler