Speakers from Camp Heartland remind dancers what the marathon is for

A group of moralers performs onstage to cheer up dancers during the first afternoon of the 26-hour Dance Marathon.

By Elisa Mosler

Only 15 people have come to the First Aid table on the side of the dance floor, manned by the Pediatric AIDS Committee. The stand is handing out ibuprofen and Band-Aids, as the most common complaints have been of knee, back and foot pain.

The music stopped, giving the dancers a much-needed break, for one of the event’s speakers: Neil Willenson, founder and CEO of Camp Heartland, a camp for children with HIV/AIDS. Camp Heartland, one of the organizations today’s event is supporting, runs various camp and care programs, offering sports, drama and arts activities to children. He reminded dancers of the cause they were supporting with a message of hope and urgency.

Willenson introduced one of the camp’s users, Ian Washburn, on stage. Washburn, 20, is HIV positive; this is his fourth year attending Dance Marathon. He explained how valuable Camp Heartland had been to him as a safe haven and fun place to share experiences with others in similar situations.

Now in his first year of college, Washburn acted as an inspirational reminder to all involved of how they were helping individual lives. The event’s first celebrity guest, Kimberly Caldwell from American Idol, also made a brief appearance, speaking of her personal support in the fight against pediatric AIDS.

Dancers were then treated to a performance by Yukai Daiko, a student-led drum circle, to get them going. The marathon continues as dancers get ready for their costume changes for the next theme: dreams.

Elisa Mosler