After eight hours, participants slow down

Rico Rodriguez, who plays Manny on “Modern Family,” poses on the red carpet at Dance Marathon.

By Elisa Mosler

The hallway at Ackerman Union looks like a hillbilly convention. Most people seem to have taken the “power tool” theme as a go-ahead to wear paisley bandanas, yellow plastic helmets and dungarees.

Eight hours in and the mood is slightly down as dancers are starting to feel the strain. The dancing continues, but it definitely looks less lively.

Moves have downgraded to more subdued bobbing. People seem to be constantly walking around aimlessly, and many have flocked to a do-it-yourself jewelery stand at the back of the hall.

Comedian Patrick Warren made a brief appearance on stage before joining the dancers. There are a few celebrities scattered around in the dance floor, including Rico Rodriguez, who plays Manny in the sitcom “Modern Family,” and Jonathan Bennett from “Mean Girls.”

Right before the costume change, dancers heard a speech by Jake Glaser, son of Elizabeth Glaser, founder of the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation.

There was also a punchy performance from the Scattertones with an a cappella rendition of Kanye West’s “Power.”

The music continues as a dancer onstage dressed as a hammer tries to pump up the dancers, who are more interested in the imminent arrival of food.

Elisa Mosler