Art class challenges students with self-exploration

By Ryan Miller

UCLA students taking an arts and architecture course are pursuing one question as part of a quarter-long, self-exploration project.

“Why do you do what you do?”

Students in the course Art Encounters: Exploring Arts Literacy in 21st Century create pictures that encapsulate both their creativity and life experiences, said John Hills, a first-year undeclared student taking the class.

“No two people are alike,” Hills said. “This project allows us the opportunity to express our own personal motivations and share why we make the choices we make.”

Students answer the question by combining text and images into a meaningful picture, Hills said. As part of the course, Professor Robert Winter encourages his students to make and share these pictures for others to view on the “Why do you do what you do?” website.

“We’re being challenged to be as specific and personal in our aim as possible,” Hills said. “Rather than tell simplified facts about ourselves, we have to search deeper for what pushes us on a day-to-day basis.”

For Lily Ito, a first-year psychology student, the project has allowed her to reflect on past experiences to answer the question.

“I do what I do because I’m really inspired when I see growth,” Ito said.

Ito worked with children at her community church during high school. One of the children she worked with was autistic and known to have violent tantrums. However, after spending time with Ito, the boy began to feel more comfortable.

“One time I picked up a plastic sushi toy and said “˜sushi’ and immediately, he repeated it,” Ito said. “When we put the toy away, I asked him where the sushi was and he knew right where to find it. It was really something to see.”

Ito said she hopes to get involved in the field of pediatrics or occupational therapy.

“The volunteer work I’ve done with special needs children both in high school and at UCLA has made me realize that this is where my interest lies,” Ito said.

To her, the project has been a great way to channel her pursuits. She plans to create a picture that focuses on her dedication to helping and her hope for progress.

Other students, like Sarah Burtner, have answered the question by thinking about family experiences.

Burtner’s motivation stems from her mother, a Vietnamese immigrant who did not have all of the same opportunities growing up. In Vietnam, there is little chance for kids to go to college, and oftentimes, children simply go into the family business, Burtner said.

Burtner visited Vietnam and saw the country’s culture and way of life. The experience gave her a new perspective, and she realized she had far more privileges than her mother had when she was her age.

“I do what I do because I don’t want to miss out on the many opportunities life holds,” said Burtner, a first-year undeclared student. “I’ve only been at UCLA for half a year, but I’ve tried to get really involved with my sorority, mentorship and other clubs.”

To Burtner, family has played a major role in motivating her. She wants to create a picture that demonstrates her mother’s role in her life. For other students, defying stereotypes is the driving force behind their actions.

Allyson Taylor, a second-year anthropology student, has made the most of her UCLA experience by avoiding the “mold.”

“I think the media portrays a very negative image of blackness,” Taylor, a black student, said. “I think it’s really sad and frustrating that a lot of its attention is centered on drugs and violence.”

Taylor has done everything she can to go above and beyond these so-called expectations. By pursing a college education, getting involved with activities on campus and associating with different races, Taylor seeks to surpass any type of racial profiling.

“For the project, I really want to create a picture that unifies both black and white,” Taylor said. “It will really demonstrate how important this theme is to me and how it motivates me to make the most of myself.”

For these students, their answer to this question is their motivation. It is their pursuit.

“The project has really put the emphasis on what makes each and every single one of us unique,” Hills said. “Everyone has their own story to share.”

Ryan Miller