Saturday, May 4, 2024

Raise your glass to the Downtown Independent's drink-along events and vibrant atmosphere

By Jillian Molin

We’ve all heard of the numerous independent theaters in Los Angeles, each possessing a certain quirk, decor or avant-garde culture that elevates it above the regular multiplex theaters in most of our hometowns. The Downtown Independent theater, however, which is located at the heart of downtown Los Angeles, hosts a monthly event that surpasses any moviegoing experience I have had to date: the “Double Feature Drink-Along.”

Each month, for $10 pre-sale, the Downtown Independent shows a double feature and allocates free beer during the showing. In case the excitement in the theater is not stimulating enough, beer pong tournaments are held on the rooftop. Boredom during the film is doubtful, though, because before the film commences, an usher announces a series of drinking cues, at which the audience is advised to cheer loudly, toast the big screen and take a sip.

Last month, I attended the event, which was organized as a commemoration to the late Leslie Neilson and showed both “Naked Gun” and “Airplane.” One can imagine the laughter that ensued when drinking cues appeared on screen, which included any character’s utterance of a pun, the appearance of OJ Simpson on screen and Leslie giving the camera one of his famous ironic and knowing glances. I “roger Rogered” and “vector Victored” my way through the evening, and met some interesting Angelenos on the rooftop. At the very least, it was nice to get out of Westwood but still feel at home with these loveable classic comedies. This carefree and community-oriented spectacle seemed like the most fitting way to celebrate the life of the comedic idol.

Anyone can request films beforehand on the theater’s Facebook group, making the drink-along not only fun, but highly communal and interactive. The next “Double Feature Drink-Along” will be Friday and will feature the Adam Sandler classics “Billy Madison” and “Happy Gilmore.” In addition to film showings, the theater also hosts comedy shows, film festivals, discussions and music release parties.

The greatest aspect of the Downtown Independent might just be its obscurity ““ it’s a little-known gem in Los Angeles. The atmosphere at the Downtown Independent is therefore vibrant, easygoing and tinted with a rebellious, speakeasy aura, one that any college student or newly turned-21-year-old might find refreshing. Moviegoing should be an event, a night to be remembered with friends, just as movie theaters were designed to be during the studio era decades ago. The people at the Downtown Independent seem to agree.

Jillian Molin