Saturday, May 18, 2024

UCLA plays host to Los Angeles A Capella Festival

By Kelsey McKenna

“Los Angeles A Capella Festival”
Today, Jan. 29
UCLA, $10

In the past year, a cappella music has swept the pop-culture world like an ear-pleasing plague. With shows like Fox’s hit comedy “Glee” and NBC’s reality a cappella competition, “The Sing Off,” swarming the airwaves, the genre of a cappella music has experienced a rebirth as a worldwide entertainment phenomenon. Jan. 29, UCLA will host the third annual Los Angeles A Cappella Festival, the largest a cappella festival on the West Coast.

The festival, put on by UCLA’s Bruin Harmony and the Contemporary A Cappella Society, will present its attendees with a day of workshops, networking opportunities and a concert to end the night.

The festival features a long list of workshops, led by experts in the a cappella industry, including “Beginning Vocal Percussion,” “Acappalooza: Planning an A Cappella Festival,” “How to Turn Your Stupid Songs into a Badass Live Show,” “Vocal Percussion for the Female Performer” and “Riding The Wave: Marketing, Press Kits, and Social Media.”

The evening concert will take place at 8 p.m. in the Ackerman Grand Ballroom and will include performances by Bruin Harmony, MTV’s “Top Pop Group” winners Mosaic, and NBC’s “The Sing Off” season two finalists The Backbeats and percussionist Jake Moulton of the a cappella group “The House of Jacks.” Dave Brown, the co-host of the award-winning weekly a cappella podcast “Mouth Off,” who spent four years on board of directors for the Contemporary A Cappella Society, is set to emcee the event.

Kelsey McKenna