House of Representatives votes to repeal healthcare bill, threating insurance coverage for students

By Seth Ronquillo

The U.S. House of Representatives voted Wednesday to repeal the healthcare bill that was signed into law by President Barack Obama last year.

The effort, initiated by the new Republican majority in the House, succeeded in repealing the bill with a vote of 245-189. Three of those who approved the repeal were Democrats.

Despite this move, there are arguments that repealing the bill can only go so far, since the Democratic majority in the Senate and the Obama administration will most likely block a repeal from happening.

“2011 might be an unpopular year to get rid of the law,” said Mark Peterson, UCLA professor of public policy and political science. “People who benefited from it might not want to repeal the healthcare bill.”

In a statement, the Democratic Committee on Energy and Commerce harshly criticized the House’s action.

“The health reform law allows young adults to remain on their parents’ insurance policies up to age 26. In the Los Angeles metropolitan area, 78,700 young adults have or are expected to take advantage of this benefit,” the statement read. “Repealing would force these young adults to find other coverage or return to the ranks of the uninsured.”

Particularly, students with health issues would face difficulty without insurance.

“All students who would get insurance will no longer be able to get healthcare,” said Karen Lightfoot, a spokeswoman for Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif). “For example, if you’re a (college) student and diabetic, healthcare insurance can discriminate against you.”

Some UCLA professors also said repealing the healthcare bill would have far greater implications.

“The most direct effect (of repealing the bill) would be more … after (students) graduate,” said Barbara Sinclair, professor emeritus in the UCLA department of political science.

If the law were repealed, it would be difficult for students who are entering the job market to get health insurance because of the poor economy, Sinclair said. Since employers often do not want to supply healthcare benefits because of the associated costs, more employees would end up without insurance, she added.

For the most part, students said they are unenthusiastic about the repeal. With the already high costs of tuition and college expenses, students and their families are financially strapped just to get a degree.

Lily Nuñez, a fourth-year sociology student who currently benefits from the healthcare bill, said she is already taking out loans, and the bill helps her save money by waiving the Student Health Insurance Plan.

Beyond the repeal’s effect on students, political motivations have driven the healthcare debate to where it is presently.

“Republicans believe their fervent opposition (against the healthcare bill) helped them to win in the midterm election,” Sinclair said.

According to Peterson, Republicans campaigned on repealing the bill during the midterm elections, and the new repeal is a symbolic act to fulfill the pledge they made to their constituents, including Tea Party supporters.

Some Republicans believe the middle class will be increasingly more dependant on the government with Medicaid and health insurance, Peterson said.

In addition to federal efforts, Republicans in states and state legislatures are taking action to prevent their own states from implementing the law and are trying to get the Supreme Court to rule it as unconstitutional, Peterson said.

Seth Ronquillo