Sunday, May 19, 2024

Senate votes to repeal ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ in 65-31 vote

By Kylie Reynolds

After nearly 17 years of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” the Senate voted on Saturday to repeal the policy that bans openly gay men and women from serving in the military.

Eight Republicans joined Democrats in a 65-31 vote for the repeal of the policy, which dates back to former President Bill Clinton’s administration.

Although students in UCLA’s ROTC program were required to comply with Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, the repeal of the policy will not change cadet training in the university’s program, said UCLA professor of military science Lt. Col. Shawn Phelps in an e-mailed statement.

“We treat each and every student with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation,” he said in the statement. “If anything, maybe this change will provide a larger population of folks interested in serving our great country.”

With the repeal, openly gay men and women will be able to serve in the armed forces. Since 1993, approximately 14,000 members of the military have been discharged for violating the policy.

The repeal comes after a study published by the Pentagon earlier this month, which stated that there would be little negative impact from allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces.

While President Barack Obama is expected to sign the measure this week, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates warned that the repeal will not occur immediately, as new guidelines must be put in place before the policy will be altered, according to the L.A. Times.

Nevertheless, the vote to repeal is considered a landmark move for the Obama presidency.

“This is a historic vote for equality, civil rights and a stronger America,” said Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) in a statement. “This vote is a continuation of our nation’s march toward full equality for all.”

Kylie Reynolds