‘Save Ethnic Studies’ to present on Arizona law banning ethnic studies

Save Ethnic Studies
Friday, 2:00 p.m.
Ackerman Grand Ballroom

By Seth Ronquillo

Dec. 2, 2010 8:32 a.m.

A recent law that will ban ethnic studies in Arizona K-12 schools will be the topic of a UCLA presentation Friday.

The event, to be held in Ackerman Grand Ballroom, will address Arizona House Bill 2281.

Supporters of the bill, which will outlaw the teaching of ethnic studies in Arizona, claim ethnic studies programs are exclusive to students of specific races.

According to the bill, ethnic studies also promote the overthrow of the American government and promote ethnic solidarity over individual learning.

In response to passage of the bill, the Arizona-based organization Save Ethnic Studies has been traveling the country to argue the unconstitutionality of the bill and to fundraise against it.

Though the law was passed by state legislators to ban ethnic studies in Arizona public schools, the law only vaguely defines what falls into that category, said Deyanira Nevarez, project director for Save Ethnic Studies.

“There is a clear backlash in Arizona against the influx of Latino residents,” said Hiroshi Motomura, a law professor at UCLA. “Arizona has recently become a hotspot for issues about immigration and ethnic studies policies.”

Prior to HB2281, Arizona passed Senate Bill 1070, which requires state officials to enforce federal immigration laws by requiring anyone who arouses suspicion to produce “an alien registration document.”

Belem Lamas, a second-year political science student with a minor in Chicano/a studies, said ethnic studies helps people to better understand where others come from and unifies individuals of different cultures and backgrounds. She added that education is a right, as is the ability to choose what one wants to study.

But not everyone agrees that the law is unconstitutional.

Eugene Volokh, a law professor in UCLA, believes the law does not violate the Constitution.

He said ethnic studies do not inherently promote political activism (that can lead to hostility), but instead involve the teaching of the history and sociology of certain cultures.

In spite of the debate over HB 2281, surveys indicate that ethnic studies students feel they can positively contribute to society after taking these classes, and that their reading and writing has improved, said Augustine Romero, director of student equity at the Tucson Unified School District and a presenter during Friday’s event.

“This is an attack on who these kids are, and also an attack on the teachers who teach these classes,” Romero said.

Organizers expect around two hundred people consisting of UCLA faculty, students, local high-school students, Los Angles community members and organizations to attend.

Seth Ronquillo