Sunday, May 5, 2024

Food Truck Junkie: Phamish serves up Vietnamese dishes and drinks

By Joel Kato

Probably the most common complaint that I hear about food trucks is the cost. Students on campus aren’t used to digging very deep into their wallets for lunch money. Admittedly, there are quite a few trucks that are on the pricey side, and I have also felt the effects of frequenting the food trucks too often.

To avoid this, I try to limit myself to only going once or twice a week, also making the outings a social event where I eat with friends that I haven’t seen in a while. Additionally, there are a bunch of trucks that offer customers more for their dollars. One of these is Phamish, a Vietnamese comfort food truck that will be pulling up to the Court of Sciences on Thursday, Oct. 28.

While there are multiple notable Vietnamese food trucks, Phamish sets itself apart from the rest by offering some popular options that the others do not, like bun (Vietnamese rice noodle plates) and pho (Vietnamese noodle soup), in addition to the standard banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich). Although I have heard great things about Phamish’s pho, by the time I got there, they were all sold out. So I opted for the Vietnamese deli special banh mi for $6, and a fresh mint lemon soda for $3.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the Vietnamese deli special for two reasons. The main reason is that the meats inside of the sandwich are somewhat of an acquired taste. While some may find the meats delicious, others find the texture unappealing and the unfamiliarity of the taste off-putting. The other reason is that the bread that they used was much softer than what I am used to, but then again, that’s just a personal preference.

I would, however, recommend the fresh mint lemon soda. While it may seem expensive for a drink, the fresh mint lemon soda was definitely a memorable drink that I’ll be sure to get again. A lot of times I find that homemade sodas are over-carbonated and lacking in flavor. Phamish does a nice job of keeping the carbonation at a moderate bubble, which fades into the background of the minty citrus taste.

Overall I’d recommend checking out the Phamish truck, if only to try their soda out. While waiting for my food, I was also able to take a peek at (and whiff of) some of the other customers’ foods. In particular, the bun looked, and smelled, delicious. If you find yourself famished on Thursday, consider giving Phamish a shot, and let me know what you think!

Until we eat again,
The Food Truck Junkie

Joel Kato