Wednesday, May 1, 2024

New dean takes over at UCLA School of Law

Rachel Moran

By Golmah Zarinkhou

Growing up in a border community of Arizona, Rachel Moran realized how farmworkers’ children lacked opportunities as non-native English speakers. She was drawn in by how the law works in situations in which language determines destiny.

Moran’s interest in equality and liberty formed the common thread in her public service work during and after studying law at Yale University.

Her work was a significant factor in her appointment as the new dean of the UCLA School of Law, said Mike Seiden, a law student on the search committee that interviewed possible candidates for the position.

Moran began her position at the law school on Friday, according to a university statement.

Before coming to UCLA, Moran taught law at UC Berkeley for 26 years and helped UC Irvine form its law school.

“I like that there’s a potential for her to emphasize public interest, which has always been a great tradition at UCLA Law,” said Anastasia Farber, a law student.

A 12-person search committee was formed after the previous dean, Michael Schill, announced last fall that he would be leaving to serve as dean at the University of Chicago Law School, Seiden said.

Moran’s experience with the University of California system impressed the committee, he said.

“(She) was the perfect fit,” he added.

Stephen Yeazell, a professor of civil procedure, acted as interim dean from November 2009 until Moran assumed the position on Friday.

“I think it’s interesting that she’s starting halfway through the year. I know as a (first year) that it would have been nice (for the transition) not to have an interim dean,” said Jenn Rosen, a law student.

Although Moran delayed the onset of her deanship to complete various article and book chapter commitments, she said she has goals already set on her agenda.

First, she plans to bring to completion the law school’s campaign to raise $100 million. The school has now raised about $80 million, she said.

Only a few days into her deanship, she is already on the road and traveling to the East Coast to reach out to donors.

She said she also plans to get the word out about the law school’s programs and to recruit and retain the best faculty possible.

Moran said she will have an opportunity to interact with students on Monday as part of a meet and greet at the law school.

Seiden said he believes Moran will interact well with students because being dean means looking after student interests and caring for the school on a personal level.

“I hope she brings a new and different perspective as dean. That’s always something exciting,” Farber said.

Golmah Zarinkhou