Sunday, May 5, 2024

Food Truck Junkie: Flying Pig offers French twist on Asian cuisine

By Joel Kato

One of the things that I love about having the food trucks come to campus is getting to see people eat food they wouldn’t normally try. Sometimes a restaurant will open down in Westwood, offering new and exciting cuisine, but it is often overpriced and unappealing because of the distance. By conveniently bringing the food to campus and lowering prices through smaller portions, the food trucks do a lot to persuade students to give their food a chance.

For example, my friend Laura Payne, a third-year psychology student, is generally very tentative about trying new foods. One day, she decided to take a risk at the Flying Pig truck, tried their Crunchy Tofu Bun and was pleasantly surprised. The Flying Pig truck, which serves traditionally Asian ingredients and flavors prepared with classically French techniques, is slated to appear this Friday for lunch service.

The main options on Flying Pig’s menu are buns and tacos, which both have several protein options, such as the Pork Belly Bun and the Tamarind Duck Taco. While Laura’s favorite may be the Crunchy Tofu Bun, a surprising vegetarian option for a truck with “˜pig’ in its name, my go-to item is the Beef & Pork Sliders.

For about $5, you can get a pair of these sliders, which are a great afternoon snack. While they may look small, these mini burgers are packed with flavor and are surprisingly filling. The beef-pork blend patties are sweetly salty and succulent. While the buns may verge on the dry side, they are still quite soft, with a slightly sweet flavor.

Another flavor is introduced through the addition of pickled red onions, which give the overall bite an unexpected twist. The lettuce component is replaced with a thick slice of cucumber, which adds a much-needed crunch to the otherwise spongy sandwich. If you are still hungry after downing these mini burgers, you can always go back for a taco or two, which go for about $3 each.

With their pastel pink truck, adorable mascot and relatively low prices, the Flying Pig truck seems to want to make a believer out of you. If you have any interest at all in their cuisine, I suggest you give them a try, and not wait around for pigs to fly.

Joel Kato