UC granted permission to file amicus curiae brief in case debating stem cell research funding

By Sarah Jo

Earlier on Sept. 27, a federal appeals court heard arguments from the two sides of the Sherley v. Sebelius case, an ongoing lawsuit against federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. Lawyers for the U.S. Department of Justice argued that a funding freeze will waste hundreds of millions of dollars already funneled into federally funded research and hinder future projects that can aid in the treatment of diseases and serious injuries.

The three-judge appeals panel also granted the University of California permission to file an amicus curiae brief, written literature that demonstrates support of the federal government.

In a statement, the university said it will determine its next steps regarding the appellate court’s option of amicus curiae, which will allow the UC to highlight the harm that a standing federal funding ban will cause embryonic stem cell research on all 10 campuses.

These most recent court proceedings follow the UC’s attempt last week to become an intervening party, but both parties of the lawsuit opposed the university’s motion for intervention on Sept. 23, citing in court documents that the federal government adequately represents the research university’s interests.

Sarah Jo