Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

UCLA construction ongoing

By Jenny Hong and Suzy Strutner

Young Research Library

The $4 million project launched in 2010 with one goal in mind: more space for students.

In winter 2010, crews transformed the library offices on the lowermost A Level into a larger work area for patrons, according to the project’s construction manager Eric Heggen.

The building’s first level, which is currently undergoing renovations, will soon feature a common research area, study rooms and a cafe.

This revamped first floor will be finished by spring 2011, with the new amenities ready for use the following fall.

“The objective of this renovation is a short-term project for long-term benefits,” said Susan Parker, deputy university librarian.

Heggen said the library will remain fully functional during construction, though students should heed any caution signs.

Edie and Lew Wasserman Building

With construction plans just announced in May, the $115.6 million eye research and patient-care center will combine with the Jules Stein Eye Institute to complete Stein Plaza’s hub of eye-care facilities.

Light site preparation will commence this fall and likely not interfere with student traffic at all.

The building is scheduled to be completed by October 2012 and officially open in March 2014, according to Phil Hampton, UCLA spokesman.

Court of Sciences Student Center

Formerly referred to as the Bombshelter, the Court of Sciences Student Center will be three times larger when construction finishes in summer 2011, Hampton said.

The $16.5 million effort will add four restaurants, a small store and a rooftop garden.

Pauley Pavilion

Bolstered by a $136 million fund, the renovation project began in May.

Despite rumors of an immediate location shift, the UCLA men’s basketball team will compete in its traditional home for the 2010-2011 season, after which sports teams will relocate for about one year.

Pauley will open its doors in fall 2012 featuring nearly 1,000 additional seats, more concession stands and bathrooms, new below-ground athlete lounges and locker rooms, a film room, and an events room for large groups.

Associate athletic director Ken Weiner said sidewalks on either side of the pavilion will be closed for short periods, but at least one open route will be available to students at all times, making for little disruption in the flow of class-bound traffic.

The walkway between Pauley and the Intramural Field is currently narrowed by barriers and will remain that way until construction ends.

The path around Pauley’s south side by Spaulding Field is still accessible as well.

Jenny Hong