“Getty Engaged” exhibit features photographic documentaries of socially relevant events

Greenfield’s photo project “Girl Culture” documents female self-image in America and is featured in the Getty Center’s current exhibition, “Engaged Observers.”

By Brittany Taylor

Cars on fire, young girls obsessively weighing themselves and homeless children trying to survive on the streets of Seattle are difficult images to ignore.

The J. Paul Getty Center’s current exhibit, “Engaged Observers: Documentary Photography Since the Sixties.” which is on display through Nov. 14, offers a wide spectrum of creative reporting through photographic essays.

“It’s an exhibition that deals with socially relevant events … events that pertain to history as well as to the present” said Brett Abbott, the exhibition curator.

Social events are the focus of Susan Meiselas’ photographic essay about Nicaragua, which is also part of the show. After hearing about protests taking place in the South American country, Meiselas decided to travel there to see for herself.

“I really didn’t even know where it was on the map. It was essentially initiated by a story in The New York Times about what was happening. I just went on my own hunch,” Meiselas said.

Meiselas’ photographs detail the revolution taking place in Nicaragua during her trip there in 1978.

Images such as that of a woman casually walking by a flipped car engulfed in flames showcase the chaos Meiselas saw.

Another striking photograph is that of a man in a red bandana crossing the street with a gun in his hand as a woman stands outside her house watching. Meiselas illustrates the resistance efforts of those living under an oppressive government.

“I think the work in Nicaragua expresses (the) commitment to working in a place over time,” Meiselas said.

Like Meiselas, photographer Lauren Greenfield’s work allows one to get a closer look into a culture.

Greenfield’s project “Girl Culture” details the many emotional facets of the female self-image.

“”˜Girl Culture’ is a five-year journey for me across America photographing, from little girls to grown women, and looking at how the body has become the primary expression of identity for girls and women. (I was) also looking at this exhibitionist quality of feminine culture in our country,” Greenfield said.

One such photograph depicts young girls in a dressing room trying on clothes. Greenfield exposes the harsh realities of American society on a woman’s self-image.

“When I was in high school I was wracked by body image insecurity. (I was) always on a diet, always wanted to have the most fashionable outfits (and) always wanted to be with the popular kids. A lot of the passion and ideas came from my own memory … Spending time with the women I (photographed) and hearing their own stories was a huge part of it as well,” Greenfield said.

Greenfield, Meiselas and all of the other photographers featured in the exhibit display their point of view on an issue of interest in their documentary photographic essays.

“I think what you see in the show (is that) each person’s work is a passion and is their own point of view,” Greenfield said.

“Photography can really shine when you follow your passion and follow your heart.”

Brittany Taylor