Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

Sink or swim with paper, piranhas

By Kevin Seo

When I first joined the Daily Bruin last year I didn’t know what to expect: I was an editor of the newly created Radio department. It was my fourth year, and I felt like I jumped into a huge lake that was full of freezing water, piranhas, sharks with heat-seeking missiles attached to their gills and recycled back issues of the Daily Bruin.

But hey, I like a challenge. So I took a deep breath and dove into the madness.

It was a crazy year: learning how to edit, communicate with editors and figuring out how to use the computers in the office. Sometimes while writing an e-mail, the monitor would just decide to turn a tinge of purple ““ which is when we’d have to call the police for assistance. But really, there was much to learn about how the newspaper worked, and like I said, I was thrown into it. So, ultimately the question is: Was it worth it for me to join the Daily Bruin?

Let me say that I never aspired to be a journalist after college, and I still don’t. I really only got into this because I found it was fun to go out and cover an event, work with others to create great content and meet awesome people. I definitely got to do these things at the Daily Bruin. There is a sort of beauty to working with people and making something substantial, thought-provoking and entertaining. It’s a very deep and personal feeling that I hope will continue throughout my life until it’s time for me to check out.

Could I have done my job better? Most definitely. The motivation wouldn’t always be there, or I would make a mistake. But I’m glad I messed up. I learned from each of my mistakes and became a more efficient and effective editor ““ I think.

But now, it’s time to pass the torch to the next wave of editors, who I wish all the luck in the world. They will do a great job. And to the graduating seniors in general ““ let’s just make sure to be humble and remember what it means to be a human being. I feel like this is the time when people can turn into a better person ““ or a monster.

Let’s boogie.

Seo was the Arts & Entertainment Radio editor for 2009-2010.

Kevin Seo

Beverly Hills Jason, Sunset Blvd and Doheny Dr. Upper Large Studio Appartment,l arge balcony, city view, full kitchen, full bathroom, parquet floor, hot and cold water, garbage, quiet building, available now. Studio $1995,1*1 $2295 #310-991-4777 only no email please.