UCLA women’s golf falters, falling to seventh place

By Rebecca Lee

The women’s golf team entered the NCAA Tournament as the top-ranked and top-seeded squad in the nation, but the Bruins delivered a performance unworthy of that ranking yesterday.

No Bruin scored better than 74 (+2) in the third round as UCLA took a dive in the leaderboard from fourth to seventh place after posting a team score of 302 (+14), totaling 882 (+18) on the Tournament.

Because lightning halted second-round play Wednesday night, competition resumed at 7:30 a.m. Thursday. Third-round action did not begin until the conclusion of round two.

No. 8 Purdue, the only team to shoot under par collectively yesterday, surged ahead of USC with a 280 (-8) on the round, recording 858 (-6) as a team. The No. 4 Trojans posted 295 (+7) on the round to come in second at 865 (+1). No. 5 Arizona State and No. 7 Alabama are tied for third at 871 (+7).

In the individual competition, freshman Tiffany Lua carded UCLA’s best score of the day with a 74 (+2). Lua is currently tied for 32nd at 221 (+5). Sophomore Stephanie Kono shot 75 (+3) Thursday to total 222 (+6) to tie for 36th. Both junior Glory Yang and senior Sydnee Michaels posted 77 (+5) in the third round to tie for 49th at 224 (+8) on the Tournament. Sophomore Brianna Do shot 76 (+4) yesterday to come in at a tie for 65th at 226 (+10).

Compiled by Rebecca Lee, Bruins Sports senior staff.

Rebecca Lee