Sunday, April 28, 2024

“˜Bridging the Gap’ symposium seeks to educate students about Alzheimer’s disease and the latest advances in the field of treating it

By Alexandra Mathieu

The largest college symposium on aging and Alzheimer’s disease will be held today at the Kerckhoff Grand Salon to educate students about gerontology.

The fourth annual event, hosted by the UCLA student group Universal Gerontology and Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Association, focuses on bridging the gap between younger generations and the baby boomer generation, said Shweta Balakrishnan, a fourth-year psychobiology student and the director of the association.

Alzheimer’s disease is currently the seventh leading cause of death in America, making it necessary for young individuals to understand the effects of aging and how Alzheimer’s disease impacts society, Balakrishnan said.

Recent budget cuts in Alzheimer’s research and funding for senior centers could be detrimental to the well-being of the nation’s older population, she added.

“We really encourage students to (become more aware of the generation gap) and to specialize in geriatrics, as a huge clientele is going to need care,” she added.

Gary Small, director of the UCLA Center on Aging and professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences, is scheduled to speak about differences in communication between the older and younger generations and also about the potential ways to increase cognitive functioning in patients who have Alzheimer’s disease.

Fernando Torres-Gil, associate dean of academic affairs at the School of Public Affairs, is also scheduled to speak at the event. Torres-Gil will discuss changes in health care policy, social policy on aging and their ultimate impact on the retiring generation, said Jusleen Uppal, a fourth-year psychobiology student and president of the association.

The event will also feature a presentation from early-onset Alzheimer’s patient Susan Franklin Morales and her husband, who will discuss their experience facing the disease, Uppal said.

“A lot of students on campus (have an) aunt, grandparent or family member (who has Alzheimer’s disease), and so it is interesting for them to hear somebody speak about it (and learn), rather than seeing it,” Uppal said.

Small will also address ways to bridge the communication gap between generations and how to reduce the risks of getting Alzheimer’s disease. Using technology and playing brain-training games can improve cognitive skills and also potentially reduce the development of Alzheimer’s disease, Small said.

While younger generations use an average of 11.5 hours of technology every day, older generations are more accustomed to interpersonal communication skills and don’t rely as much on technology, Small said.

Research has shown that older subjects who were exposed to Internet-based tasks experienced increased activity in the frontal lobe of their brains, Small said. The frontal lobe of the brain is responsible for short-term memory and decision making, which are both vital for Internet users. Exposing people to technology-based tasks may help postpone or prevent Alzheimer’s, he added.

Every two weeks, members of the student group volunteer at the Optimistic People in a Caring Atmosphere senior day care center to give caretakers a break, Uppal added.

“The cause of our student organization is underestimated in college environments,” Uppal said.

“Not everyone realizes that in the next 15 years, the baby boomer generation will be retiring and have an effect on (our society and economy),” she added.

Alexandra Mathieu