Economics/international area studies major canceled because of lack of demand and development of new, similar majors

By Sarah Ravani

The economics/international area studies major will no longer be offered to incoming freshmen this fall.

Because of the decrease in demand for the major and the emergence of multiple majors that offer international coursework, the economics department has suspended admission to the international economics major effective immediately, said Julie Plotkin, economics undergraduate counselor.

“The good news is, no one really seems affected,” said Kathleen McGarry, economics vice chair of undergraduate education. “The same courses will still be available, but no major.”

Initially, the committee voted to suspend admission to the major. However, the department is doubtful that the major will be brought back. Currently, there are 30 students enrolled as economics/international area studies students.

Though the same courses will still be taught, it is possible the classes will not be offered every quarter, McGarry added. Since the same courses will be taught, the staff and faculty of the economics department will not be affected by this new change.

Students currently enrolled in the major and incoming transfer students are still eligible to receive their degrees, and students who are able to complete their prerequisites for the major by fall 2010 are also eligible to apply for the major for winter 2010.

When the major was originally created, UCLA did not have other majors that focused on international studies, Plotkin said. Now, UCLA offers East Asian studies, global studies, Latin American studies and a number of regional studies that Plotkin said she believes do a better job focusing on the various regions.

The decision to suspend the major was voted on by the economics department and then forwarded to the faculty executive committee. The committee also approved the suspension before sending it off to the undergraduate council, which approved it in a unanimous vote, Plotkin said.

Plotkin encourages students to get involved in extracurricular activities around campus that will allow them to gain experiences that can be utilized in their future careers.

“One major doesn’t dictate student’s careers. Someone can major in history and philosophy and then go into business,” Plotkin said. “If they are interested in the international aspect, they can do an economics major and double major with global studies or minor in it, or minor in East Asian studies or Latin American studies.”

However, some students feel the economics/international area studies major allows students to become more well-rounded individuals because of its two-year language requirement, said Kia Saedi, a third-year economics/international area studies student.

“The cancellation of this major deters students from reaching out to other cultures and having a more worldly understanding of economics,” Saedi said.

Sarah Ravani
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]