Police arrest man suspected of sexual assaults near campus

By Daniel Schonhaut

University police have caught a man who is suspected to be responsible for committing a series of sexual batteries on or near the UCLA campus.

Calixto Marcellana Nitro was arrested by undercover officers in Stein Plaza on Monday evening as he attempted to grab the crotch of a woman in the area, police said.

Nitro was booked on suspicion of sexual battery and released under written agreement to appear in court.

The 63-year-old Bakersfield resident is accused of assaulting seven women in the area near the intersection of Westwood Boulevard and Le Conte Avenue since March 8.

According to police, Nitro targeted women who were distracted and talking on their cell phones. He grabbed their crotches as they walked by and then fled the scene.

Nitro, who has no prior criminal record, was employed on campus by a contractor who works with UCLA, UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein said.

“I was so pleased to hear (Nitro was caught) because this was such a concern to the university,” Greenstein said. “This incident reminds people to take precautions, but it also says their campus police are here for them, and we’re going to do everything we can to keep the community safe.”

Daniel Schonhaut