UCLA baseball edges out UC Riverside

baseballcole

By Blair Angulo

Baseball is a cruel, cruel sport.

One minute, you’re mowing down every opposing batter that steps up to the plate, like UCLA senior pitcher Garett Claypool was doing Tuesday night against UC Riverside. Claypool surrendered nothing more than a hit to the first batter of the game through the first five innings.

The next minute, you’re on the bench after giving up a run on consecutive doubles, your team still clinging to a slim 2-1 lead in the sixth inning.

UC Riverside tied the score at 2-2 immediately after UCLA coach John Savage took the ball from Claypool’s hand, but fortunately for the Bruins, cruelty works both ways.

No. 15 UCLA scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning on a sacrifice fly off the bat of junior shortstop Niko Gallego, but only after UC Riverside dropped two foul fly balls and threw a wild pitch that advanced pinch runner Chris Giovinazzo to third.

The walk-off win the was the second straight by the way of a sacrifice fly and 10th consecutive to begin the season ““ UCLA’s best start on record.

Sophomore catcher Steve Rodriguez singled to lead off the ninth frame but only after the Highlanders failed to record the out on balls hit in foul territory. Sophomore third baseman Dean Espy laid down a picture-perfect sacrifice bunt to move Rodriguez into second before Giovinazzo came on to pinch run.

Giovinazzo advanced to third on a wild pitch from UC Riverside relief pitcher Mike Wolford.

Gallego skied the fourth pitch of his at-bat deep enough to center field to score Giovinazzo from third.

Redshirt sophomore left-hander Mitchell Beacom earned the victory by tossing two and a third innings of scoreless relief. He struck out three of the eight batters he faced.

This weekend, UCLA travels to Corpus Christi, Texas, for the Whataburger Classic. The Bruins will play Texas A&M Corpus Christi (7-4) on Friday, Mississippi State (8-3) on Saturday and No. 25 Oklahoma (13-1) on Sunday.

Compiled by Blair Angulo, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Blair Angulo