Bruins score first conference win

Junior Maya Johansson and doubles partner junior Andrea Remynse helped UCLA win the doubles point in the Bruins’ 7-0 conference victory over Oregon.

By Rebecca Lee

This time, the Bruins did not have to rely on junior Andrea Remynse to bail them out.

After enduring two consecutive nail-biting matches against No. 5 Cal and No. 12 USC last week, the fourth-ranked women’s tennis team handed Oregon a 7-0 defeat this weekend at the 18th Street Tennis Courts in Eugene, Ore.

“Everyone’s playing well, I was really pleased to see everyone competing, and the way I think the team supported each other, the team (is feeling) very strong,” coach Stella Sampras Webster said. “It was a good weekend, it was a good team win, and it’s great to get that Pac-10 mountain started.”

With its first conference win under its belt, UCLA improved to 13-1 overall and 1-0 in the Pac-10, while the Ducks fell to 5-9.

Sampras Webster said that the weekend was a productive team trip.

“It was our first since the Team Indoors trip, traveling together as a team, going someplace ““ we didn’t know if we were going to play indoors or outdoors, and making adjustments wherever we’re at,” she said. “It’s always challenging … but our team did a great job just adjusting to the courts and performing.”

The Bruins went with a doubles pairing of Remynse and junior Maya Johansson rather than the nation’s No. 4 tandem of Remynse and senior Yasmin Schnack. UCLA nabbed the doubles point after sweeping all three doubles matches.

“We’re just so lucky to have so many partners that can play and that we can make adjustments,” Sampras Webster said. “It was just a great opportunity for Maya to get some doubles match experience, and that was the only reason why we made the change.”

In singles play, Schnack, Johansson, junior Noelle Hickey and sophomores Nina Pantic and Carling Seguso won their respective matches in straight sets. In addition, freshman Stephanie Hoffpauir defeated Oregon’s Pavlina Smatova in a come-from-behind victory.

After falling behind in a 7-6 tiebreak in the first set, Hoffpauir fought back, going 7-5 and 10-5 in the third set tiebreak.

“She was definitely struggling in the match, and (Smatova) was very deceiving and she didn’t give Steph very much rhythm at all, so Stephanie had to really dig down and find a way to win, and she did that,” Sampras Webster said. “She competed really well even though she wasn’t executing very well … and she was able to win on a bad day, which is always good.”

The Bruins will head to Malibu to face No. 35 Pepperdine Tuesday. The last time the two teams squared off, UCLA came out on top 5-0 on Jan. 27.

“Playing away is challenging but they’re a strong team, a very talented team, so we need to come out ready to play,” Sampras Webster said.

Rebecca Lee