Women’s water polo to compete in UCI Invitational

In the midst of a four-game winning streak, the UCLA women’s water polo team will head south to take part in the UC Irvine Invitational this weekend.

After a successful 3-0 trip to Northern California last weekend, the Bruins will open the Invitational Saturday morning with a matchup against UC Santa Barbara. The Gauchos will enter play with a 6-5 record, having lost their most recent contest against Cal State Northridge.

Based on who wins in the tournament’s initial round, UCLA will face either Michigan or San Diego State in the second round later on Saturday. The Bruins faced both the Wolverines and the Aztecs in the season-opening Michigan Invitational, falling in overtime to San Diego State 7-6 and defeating Michigan 10-7. Regardless of how they fare on Saturday, the Bruins are guaranteed two more games on Sunday.

UCLA’s recent run of success has been sparked by the offensive play of Cal junior transfer Grace Reynolds, who leads the team with 19 goals, and the Orozco sisters, junior Priscilla and sophomore Sarah, who have combined for 26 goals. Sophomore goalkeeper Caitlin Dement has been counted on to be the workhorse in the cage in her first season as full-time starter, playing all but four quarters thus far this season.

The UC Irvine Invitational represents UCLA’s final tune-up before Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference play begins a week from Saturday when the Bruins travel to Hawai’i.

Compiled by Ryan Eshoff, Bruin Sports senior staff.