Women’s water polo builds four-game streak with wins against Cal, UC Davis and Sonoma State

The UCLA women’s water polo headed to Northern California this past weekend hoping to make an early-season statement.

They made plenty of them.

On Saturday, the Bruins traveled to Berkeley to face a Cal team they had already lost to once this season. This time around, UCLA got a pair of goals apiece from junior Priscilla Orozco and freshman Brooke Martin to edge the Bears 7-6. The win was also significant in that it came in the MPSF season opener for UCLA.

The following day, the Bruins swept a doubleheader against UC Davis and Sonoma State. After knocking off the Aggies 8-3, the UCLA offense erupted against Sonoma State. The Bruins received goals from 13 different players, including nine who had two goals, in defeating the Seawolves 24-4. UCLA held a 12-3 lead at halftime, before completely taking over the game by posting a 9-0 advantage in the third quarter.

Now in the midst of a four-game winning streak, the Bruins will next travel to the UC Irvine Invitational this weekend, where they will open play Saturday against UC Santa Barbara.

Compiled by Ryan Eshoff, Bruin Sports senior staff