Bruin baseball swings into a new season

By Blair Angulo

The expectations for UCLA on the baseball diamond have been high for the past few seasons. Use last spring’s disappointing 27-29 showing as a prime example.

The Bruins struggled through the non-conference portion of their schedule by losing 10 straight games at one point. They improved enough to finish third in the Pac-10, but the slow start cost them a postseason berth.

With the loss of some key offensive players, expectations are not as high this spring.

But that doesn’t mean UCLA isn’t thinking about capping its season with a trip to Omaha, Neb.

“We always have high expectations for ourselves,” redshirt senior Blair Dunlap said. “Regardless of what the media puts out there, we’re going to have high expectations and set our goals.”

UCLA, No. 23 in Baseball America’s preseason poll, opens its season tonight at Jackie Robinson Stadium against Southern University. The game is part of the third annual Urban Invitational tournament. Sophomore right-hander Gerrit Cole is scheduled to take the mound.

“It’s a great honor,” Cole said. “Obviously we have a bunch of guys that are capable of pitching on Friday nights.”

UCLA’s potential success rides on Cole’s right arm.

The sophomore had perhaps the best summer of any pitcher in college baseball. Renowned publication Baseball America named Cole the best prospect on the collegiate national team after he won four games and overpowered rising international hitters.

Cole now looks to carry that success to the mound with him.

“Pitching on Fridays, you’re going to win and lose a lot of close games,” sixth-year coach John Savage said. “It’s really all the little intangible things that Gerrit needs to get better at.”

Fortunately for Savage, Cole is not the only one capable of carrying UCLA’s pitching staff. Sophomore Trevor Bauer, the scheduled starting pitcher for Saturday’s game against Bethune Cookman at the Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academy in Compton, is no slouch either. He will have an opportunity to prove himself on the MLB Network.

Like Cole, Bauer pitched for the collegiate national team last summer after having perhaps the best season of any freshman last spring. He won nine games en route to earning National Freshman Pitcher of the Year honors from Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. Bauer graduated from Newhall Hart early and enrolled into UCLA just in time for the start of the season.

“I don’t think anyone could have expected that,” Savage said. “Trevor has an unbelievable ability to make pitches and an ability to pitch out of problems. He’s got the stuff to go along with his demeanor and presence. We feel very fortunate that we have two very young sophomore pitchers that are very advanced in their development both on and off the field.”

Everything after Cole and Bauer becomes a bit fuzzy.

The third weekend slot is junior left-hander Rob Rasmussen’s to lose. Rasmussen is scheduled to start Sunday afternoon’s home game against Cal State Northridge.

The offense, however, has some holes to fill. UCLA’s bats struggled at times last season, and that was with top hitters Cody Decker (21 home runs) and Casey Haerther (21 multi-hit games), who are now playing in the minors. But Savage doesn’t seem too concerned.

“We do have some veterans there, and we have some young guys that we look to step in and be contributors right away,” Savage said. “I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people offensively.”

Another question mark is at the back end of the Bruins’ bullpen. With relievers Jason Novak and Gavin Brooks now competing in the minor leagues, Savage will look to redshirt sophomore right-hander Dan Klein, who had a solid offseason.

After sitting out last season with a shoulder issue, Klein emerged as the team’s late-inning reliever by “throwing the ball as well as he ever has,” Savage said.

UCLA will need strong showings from its starters to get to Klein.

“The starters are completely interchangeable,” Cole said. “We’re all solid.”

Blair Angulo